At Activ8 Mind we understand the importance of mental well-being, and we are here to guide you on your journey to a healthier mind. As you Activ8 on the path of seeking support, it's essential to be informed about mental health treatment plans and Medicare rebates when consulting with a psychologist.
What is a mental health treatment plan?
A mental health treatment plan is for people with a mental health condition.
The mental health plan outlines:
· Treatment options
· Support services available to you
· Goals you and your doctor have created and agreed upon
How can a mental health treatment plan help me?
If you are having struggles with your mental health, a mental health treatment plan helps assist you with covering the cost of seeing a mental health professional.
This also helps you:
· feel a greater sense of control over your mental health
· feel like you have supports
Am I eligible for a mental health treatment plan?
Only people who have been diagnosed with a mental health condition, such as depression or anxiety can access a mental health treatment plan.
How can I get a mental health treatment plan?
Your doctor, psychiatrist or paediatrician can help you with a mental health treatment plan if you are struggling with mental health issues.
When you book an appointment with your doctor, make sure to request a longer appointment or say that you are interested in obtaining a mental health treatment plan. This will help ensure that you have enough time to discuss your mental health.
The doctor will then assess your mental health in order to:
· Diagnose a mental health condition
· Determine if a mental health treatment plan would be beneficial to you.
The assessment typically utilises a questionnaire. The doctor will:
· Ask you a brief set of questions
· Complete the mental health treatment plan
· Talk with you about your goals
· Provide you with a referral to a mental health professional
· A referral can occur through a GP, a psychiatrist or a paediatrician
Sometimes, it may take more than one visit with your doctor for them to diagnose a mental health condition.
What does a mental health treatment plan cover?
The mental health treatment plan comes under the Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative. The initiative was designed to improve outcomes and assist people with who have been diagnosed with a clinical mental health condition.
The mental health treatment plan allows you to claim up to 10 individual and 10 group sessions with a mental health professional each calendar year. Subsidised sessions can be accessed with a plan. Medicare will cover some of the cost but each health professional and/or service sets their own fees.
Couples and family therapy is not included as group therapy.
Initially, your treating doctor may refer you for 6 sessions with a mental health professional. After you have used the first six sessions, you can go back to your doctor, psychiatrist or paediatrician to complete a review and they can refer you for further sessions should you need.
Will my mental health treatment plan expire?
The mental health treatment plan does not expire. You can start to use it at any time for the number of sessions you have been referred for. If you use up all 10 sessions and you feel as if you need further support, visit your doctor.
Resources and support
More mental health, mental health services and treatment plan information is available via the links below: · Services Australia – Can provide you with information related to government payments and services.
· Beyond Blue | 24/7 Support for Anxiety, Depression and Suicide Prevention - or call 1300 22 4636 for support with your mental health.
· headspace Adelaide | Youth Mental Health Centre & Services - young people and their families can receive support to become mentally healthy.
· Trusted Health Advice | healthdirect – or call 1 800 022 222 to speak with a registered nurse for support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.